What are cookies?
We use the term ‘cookies’ to refer to all technologies which store or access information stored on the device that you use to access the Online Services, such as your computer, tablet or mobile phone. For example, we use http cookies, which are small data files (typically made up of numbers and letters) that are downloaded when you access our Services and allow us to recognise your device. We also use technologies like pixel tags and software kits embedded in our apps to enhance your experience and ensure the smooth running of the app.
Cookies may tell us whether you have visited the Online Services before or whether you are a new visitor.
There are different types of cookies, for example:
- Cookies served directly by Vicinitee (‘first pary cookies’) and cookies served by third parties, for example by advertisers and data analytics companies (‘third party cookies’); and
- Cookies which endure for different periods of time, including those that only last only as long as your browser is open (referred to as ‘session cookies’) and which are deleted automatically once you close your browser. Other cookies are ‘permanent cookies’, meaning that they survive after your browser is closed. For example, they recognise your device when you open your browser and browse the internet again.
Which cookies do we use and why do we use them?
The following paragraphs set out the different categories of cookies that we may use and why we use them.
- Essential website cookiesThese cookies are necessary to provide you with some of the features of the Online Services, such as supporting log in forms. Types of cookies which may be used: .viciniteeFoms, ASP.NET_SessionId
- Functional cookiesThese cookies allow us to personalise our websites for you and remember your preferences such as your log in information, the region from which you logged in and what pages you have viewed. These can be set by us or third parties which provide services to the pages you are visiting.
- Performance and Analytics cookiesThese cookies allow us to monitor how the Online Services are used and perform and therefore improve your user experience of our Online Services. For example, we receive information on the number of visitors to our sites and the most popular pages on those sites. We only use the information we receive from these types of cookies in aggregated form. These cookies may be served by third parties, such as Google Analytics. Types of cookies used: __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz
- Advertising cookiesWe work with third party advertising networks, that collect information using cookies to help make the advertising you see in our Online Services and elsewhere on the internet more relevant to you and to measure the effectiveness of the advertising on the Online Services. We do not decide which cookies are set or how your data is used by these third parties. These cookies uniquely identify the browser and device from which you are accessing our Online Services.
How can you exercise your cookies choices?
You have the right to choose whether or not to accept cookies used for certain purposes via the cookie control on each of our websites. Some sites may only use essential cookies to provide website functionality and therefore your banner will present you with an accept option and a link to this Cookie Notice. Cookies are an important part of how our Online Services work, so you should be aware that if you choose to refuse or remove cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of the Online Services.
Website (Browser) Opt-Out:
Most browsers accept cookies by default. You may be able to change the settings to have your browser refuse certain cookies or notify you before accepting cookies. To do so, please follow the instructions provided by your browser which are usually located within the “Help”, “Tools” or “Edit” facility. Some third parties also provide the ability to refuse their cookies directly by clicking on an opt-out link.
Mobile App Opt-Out
25 May 2018